Wednesday 20 May 2009

Movida Next Door - Definitely no second fiddle

For years now I have been trying to get in to Movida, a tapas restaurant in Melbourne City. Every time I've had the opportunity or thought of it, they have been booked out. Every time I've wanted to take a date there, I haven't been able to get a table.

And I'm terrible with things that I can't have!

Having never eaten at Movida has in no way stopped me from recommending it to any and every one who has asked me for a dining recommendation. I have heard so many good things about it and the anticipation has been building for years, it's been driving me crazy...

With expectations like this, I was building myself up for disappointment and I knew it.

Tonight Jarrod, my flatmate, organised for a group of us to go to the Gay and Lesbian Switchboard Trivia night, however due to the fact that it was so popular and we were so late booking a table we missed out. No worries, we decided to catch up and go to a Melbourne Restaurant instead. I haven't written many reviews on Melbourne City Restaurants so I thought it was a good chance to check out something different.

We caught up at Beer Deluxe, I wasn't all that keen to eat there as it was a bit too pubby, so Jarrod suggested Movida... OMG here was my opportunity. Although, would there be a table?

Alas, would you believe it? No.

Luckily for me, there is Movida Next Door. I don't know about this for sure, but I think that due to their success with the restaurant they opened it up to catch the overflow. It is a casual bar and less restaurant than Movida, which makes the two of them very complementary.

The atmosphere in Movida Next Door is a bit louder, there are high tables with bar stools to sit at and a bar to stand at and have a drink.

We stood at the bar to have a drink or two whilst we waited for a table. The bar staff were amazingly friendly and quick to get a drink into us. After a drink and a snack we got seated.

There was an extensive selection of tapas on the menu, we ate dishes from boned Quail to Abalone Broth; Braised Ox Tongue that was like melt in your mouth pate and Goats Cheese with Sardines.

Oh, the food was sublime.

The service was impeccable. The staff were engaging and were able to describe in detail all the wines on the menu. We were so impressed with their ability to talk confidently about everything on offer, we decided to indulge in one of everything.

If this was the appetiser for Movida then I may have eaten too much, but in reality, I can't wait for the main course.

I will definitely continue to to recommend to everyone to eat at Movida or even Movida Next Door. I was not let down and if anything they exceeded my expectations.

This is somewhere that everyone should go and try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment